Tuesday 3 January 2012

Learning and teaching theory - Problem Solving.

The higher Education Academy – Engineering subject centre  

Houghton, Warren (2004) Engineering Subject Centre Guide: Learning and Teaching Theory for Engineering Academics. Loughborough: HEA Engineering Subject Centre.


Throughout my Professional inquiry surrounding integrated dance I have come across many barriers (problems) that have affected the process I planned for my inquiry. Therefore I decided that I needed to research the best way to solve these problems and learn from my experiences in a professional, and thought out way. I came across this theory whilst researching problem solving and I found this step by step guide to problems solving very useful. As I continue my literature reviews I wish to also look at different theories into problem solving, compare and evaluate which has been most appropriate for my inquiry.

            During the introduction to this theory the Higher education academy state that  “Very few new undergraduates will have the confidence and mental processes available to say “I don't know how to solve this problem yet, but if I set about it systematically and think about it I expect I'll work it out”. This is exactly the problem I have found myself and peers in during the inquiry process - I want to be able to solve the problem but I lack in the confidence to be sure I am solving it in the right way. This one reason is why I chose to review this piece of literature as it displays a four step problem solving theory which can be applied to any situation. 

“The problem solving process, for simple problems, involves:

  1. Assemble and evaluate information and resources.
    First obtain a clear description of the situation and ensure that it is fully comprehended. This may involve writing down lists and diagrams, re-describing the situation, trying to get a clear mental picture of all the relationships which exist within the situation, of what the resources are and what they can be used for, and of the constraints and their implications. The objective must also be clarified.”

This first point is a crucial one as I have discovered that if you do not clearly identify what the problem is you will not successfully solve it. To do this you should critically reflect the current situation or problem. I have found that using diagrams showing the problems and objectives is a clear way to see what stands in the way and what needs to be achieved to solve your problem. I feel that this first process is often discarded but it is vital into choosing the right solution.

2.       “Brainstorm and plan solution process
The brainstorming process involves first looking at the situation and asking what immediate changes can be made, what will be the consequences of these changes, and looking at the objective and asking what would enable the objective to be reached. It also involves considering any similar problems previously solved. The aim is to identify a set of steps that lead from the original situation to the desired objective.”

This second Process suggests that you should research or compare this problem to any previous barriers and look at the way these have been solved. I feel this is a brilliant way to gain ideas that could help solve your own problem. Process 2 also says to explore all the possible solutions and consequences before applying them to your problem this will prevent any unsuspected barriers. The most crucial aspect in process 2 is to identify a set of steps to solve your problem; I have found making a step by step action plan beneficial.

3.       “Implement solution
Once a set of steps has been identified, the solution process proceeds from one step to the next, regularly reviewing progress and checking back to make sure that the steps taken so far are valid and have produced the required result, until the required objective is reached.”

The third process is a vital one it ensures that no further problems are created. To do this it is crucial that every step that you take towards solving your problem is reviewed and answers the following two questions,

a.       Is this a valid step towards solving my problem?

b.       Has this step produced the required result?

The processes applied through step three are also beneficial as they can start the reflection process and allow you to establish what has been learnt from completing this theory.                                                                  

  1. “Check results
    A final check is then made to verify that the result produced is the required objective. If, at intermediate stages, checks on progress reveal an error, then it is necessary to go back one or more steps and rethink the problem, again looking for a set of steps that leads from the original situation, or from the results of previously verified steps, to the objective.”

The final process is to reveal whether you have solved your problem. To do this you should check all process and see if the final objective has been reached. If the problem has not been solved this process allows you to easily see all steps taken and should also easily identify what has gone wrong and how it should be put right. This final process is also a learning one as it gives you the ability to critically reflect all the process and conclude upon what you have gained and learnt from completing this process.

I personally have found this four step theory extremely useful into solving the problems related to my inquiry. I have also found that if you skip or don’t fully complete a process it is more likely that your end result or solution will suffer or not be solved accurately.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Alice,
    Thank you for sharing this theory, it was a paradigm shift for me.
    Until now, I was thinking of this course as 'building up' (a professional artefact). Now, I can see it from the other way round; when I view it as a problem solving task, it is like 'untangling'.
    The tasks began to look more manageable.

    ReplyDelete