Monday 21 February 2011

4c. Developing inquiry questions in my professional community.

 I have been extremely lucky that I have been able to create a strong professional network with employers and colleges all in the same field of professional practice. A strong network of professionals I have been able to establish, has been through my job as a BTEC national contemporary teacher at Upton – By – Chester High. This humanities college has strong special needs learning zone so I thought this would be the perfect place to seek advice on my integrated dance line of inquiry.
I firstly went to my main employer   C Tierney (Head of performing arts) and put forward to him my questions on integrated dance.  We discussed many areas surrounding the topic but one thing became clear, he didn’t know of a school in Cheshire with an integrated performance program.  After discussing this I asked if there could be an opportunity for Upton – By- Chester to start an integrated dance program with its learning support centre. C. Tierney Thought it was a brilliant idea and a new way to promote the school and the local dance community.  At the moment in time talks are now being arranged with the head of the School to start such a program in Sep 2012. Such like the Candoco youth dance company http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EElYDrfxO1k .  This is a brilliant start to bringing integrated dance into schools in Cheshire.
K . Brown is currently a drama teacher I wanted to see if she had experienced anything involving integrated performance, and if she had heard of the Tv presenter Cerri Burnell. K Brown expressed that she never had to opportunity to work within an integrated environment during her training as it “just wasn’t heard of”. I then started to discuss the story of Cerri  as I was interested to get an opinion of a professional who also had young children. She expressed that she felt it would scare her young children due to the lack of physical disfigurement in the performing and television industry. She also expressed that if there were more people like Cerri in the media it would become and “everyday occurrence and wouldn’t have this shocking effect”. This also relates me to my question that does integrated dance have a negative stigma?
            I will continue to bring these questions to others parts of my professional network and blog what took place. If you have any comments on this they would be welcome. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alice - just wanted to say well done on getting into conversations with professional mentors - this is a certainly a worthwhile topic for inquiry and in terms of professional ethics suggests bringing some good and ultimate benefit into the profession. Keep checking the blogs for mention of Professional Ethics which was the topic at yesterday's seminar session and check it out on Reader 5 on Libguides

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for you your comment. I personally found my discussions with my colleagues extremely interesting and hope to expand on them. Thank you yes it will be intriguing to look into the ethics side of this inquiry. I have begun looking through the reader 5 and i hope it will help me to research my inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice Yes the support is great and its sounds like there will be able to benefit your community of practice by looking into the topic areas you have talked about. I say areas because you have actually touched upon a number of topics - inclusion, disability, 'proven' medical benefits from drama and dance... it sounds like you have found a 'gap' in your community that could use your attention, but where do you start for what your are wanting to do? Your questions are good ones - but some like the first one might be as much about scoping your topic area as much as answering questions - especially if you are keen and have the green light on starting actual programme work - find this information out now by continuing doing what your are doing contacting key people and doing some web and phone research. I think Question 1 and 2 also relate to the professional ethics of dance teaching as well... it sounds like there have been some changes in the ways things have been done. Oh and then there is the learning support centre. The negative stigma - for whom? Good to start the topic and yes ask around and look at blogs to find a network - look up the Chickenshed to see if their inclusive approach - Emma and Anthony are talking about it - is something you have considered.Good stuff - I am trying to be a bit challenging here - but this can be a very heady and actually fun stage planing with ideas so keep challenging what you know and what you want to know...

    ReplyDelete