Friday 25 March 2011

5b. Professional practice Dance Teaching Codes of conduct. (Comparison)

I decided to research Teaching Codes of conduct and compare them with my own initial thoughts. Thankfully they were all relatively the same as my own. The one major difference I noticed was the use of wording, it appeared to seem more legalised and formally spoken. To help myself or other colleagues in the future I researched “how to write a code of conduct”. This Website made it clearer to me and enabled me to see how and why we have codes of conduct and how to format and write them professionally   http://www.gtce.org.uk/teachers/thecode/why/.
Whilst I was researching codes of conducts for dance teaching this website stood out too me. http://www.cdet.org.uk/teaching-and-qualifications/code-of-conduct/  It displays a simple professional outline of information that should be in a code of conduct, and thankfully most of the regulations I used were displayed in this example. Such as this section,
    • suitable flooring appropriate to the technique taught, with a clean, safe surface; to minimise the risk of injury;
    • adequate heating levels and ventilation;
    • Suitable, secure and safe area for changing.
    • Abide by Health and Safety statutory legislation requirements, understand his or her responsibility in case of a medical emergency and keep records in an accident book.
    • Ensure that all fire regulations are displayed and adhered to.

In my Code of Conduct I choose to include such regulations as “Recognise professional development and potential of all students” Throughout the first code of conduct this type of regulation doesn’t accrue although I researched a New Zealand based Dance centre http://www.danz.org.nz/danz_code.php  and there code of conduct is full of this types of regulations such as “Recognise the role of dance in developing the whole person.” I found this interesting that codes of conduct appear to have different sense of ethics in there codes of conduct. This would be an interesting line of inquiry to develop in the future.

2 comments:

  1. good sourcing - on your last point - yes professional codes and regulation for dance is relatively new - as in other arts - although dance is ancient. I wonder what ancient does of practice might have looked like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the exact same thing when writing this blog. It made me reflect on the history of codes of conduct in the performing industry and how things have changed. I am hoping to touch upon this in my inquiry of physically integrated dance development. And Try to reflect on the history of codes of conduct in this area as I feel it will allow me to understand the developments that have already been made physically integrated dance.

    ReplyDelete