Monday 29 November 2010

2d: Line of inquiry.

            I was really struggling to think of a line of inquiry to research that that I was truly passionate about until I realised it was starring me in the face.
            I teach at Upton by Chester High school teaching Btec in applying contemporary dance, in one of my sessions I notice a girl was looking in through the window as I looked I noticed she was in a wheel chair and I thought I wish she was a student of mine this sparked an idea to look further into integrated dance, and to find ways to invite able and non -able dancers into the course and the world of dance. I have decided to make integrated dance my line of inquiry and look inward into this inspiring background. This YouTube video really inspired me to look inward into this professional practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLe9ZSwU4aQ
            Integrated dance has always been a passion of mine as I have worked alongside integrated community companies such as LIVE, and independence both projects in Cheshire. I have always been inspired by companies like Candoco. This company was founded in 1991 by Celeste Dandeker and Adam Benjamin. The company developed from workshops led by Celeste and Adam at the Aspire center, and grew quickly into the first company of its kind in the UK – a professional dance company specializing in the integration of disabled and non-disabled dancers. When I personally watch Candoco it inspires me that anyone can enjoy dance and to be grateful for what I have.
One of my favorite pieces by Candoco is “the Journey” it was performed in 2005 and was the first piece of integrated dance I had seen and truly inspired me.  It was choreographed by Fin Walker and got rave reviews; one review evaluates the piece perfectly  
Walker’s subtle moves have the potential to change how we look at others and think about ourselves.
The Times on WalkerDanceParkMusic’s Silence of the Soul
Here I have linked a promo video of the season of 2005/2006 I feel this video expresses integrated dance. http://www.candoco.co.uk/videos/200506-season-pro.
After looking inward into integrated dance and rejuvenating my passion for if it really want to try and bring it into the schools and organisations I work for. And make my students realise that anyone can dance no matter what physical impediment. To do this I may use some of the workshop ideas that Candoco Company use and invite non able dancers of the school or community to join in a workshop later in the year after researching and learning more about this professional practice.  I hope to widen my own and others’ knowledge of integrated dance.

2 comments:

  1. Alice clear line of inquiry emerging here, 'integrated dance'; liked your video links as they explained the area you are beginning to look at. I just mentioned to Emma Balaam from the Chickenshed that I met a women doing research from Coventry - linked from my blog ALSO http://www.coventry.ac.uk/researchnet/d/279/a/2280 - who was just finishing up some research about this issue. You may want to connect with this? Emma is thinking about inclusiveness in HE - but might be some overlap in terms of a networking group for next term - check out her blog and she has explained.

    I also picked up a great book about movement from MDX library by Sandra Fraleigh called Metaphysics in Motion - Is there anyway you can connect with it from MDX - I have it booked out now and could copy bits? or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dancing-Identity-Sondra-Horton-Fraleigh/dp/0822942399/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291296078&sr=8-1-fkmr0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this comments Paula. I had heard of Chickenshed but i don’t no a lot about them i will defiantly research into them more. Also I will try and get my hands on that book because it would definitely be beneficial. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete